I'm making strides toward a cure

Find out how to participate and/or donate to this great cause here: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/michelekravetz



Why am I walking on Sunday, October 17th?

A year ago in November, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at the young age of 58. She told me on Thanksgiving. I'll never forget that day.

She is, however, an amazing fighter and incredibly stubborn - she's German, what did you expect? - and utilized her strengths to fight this battle! She underwent surgery in early December, followed by an intense number of chemotherapy sessions. If I thought the words 'my mom has cancer' were bad, nothing can top watching you loved one go through chemotherapy. It was hard to take; no matter what, you feel lost and want to do more... even if there's not much you can do. One day, I forced her to let me clean her house... just so I could feel useful.

All in all, we're in a happy place because she has overcome cancer! She won! She will be back to her oncologist's office every three months for a check-up, but has been reassured she's a winner!

Today, there is more hope than ever for people facing breast cancer. However, there is much work to be done. Every day, the American Cancer Society is helping people stay well by taking steps to reduce their risk of breast cancer or find it early, when it is most treatable; helping people get well with information, day-to-day help, and emotional support to guide them through every step of a breast cancer experience; by finding cures and promising new treatments through funding and conducting research; and by fighting back by working with lawmakers to help all women get access to screenings and care.

I believe that one day, breast cancer will never steal another year from anyones life and we will live in a world with less breast cancer and more birthdays. Thats why I'm walking in the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event. Not only is this my opportunity to join my community to fight back against breast cancer, it is a way to inspire hope by raising funds and awareness to help those facing the disease and save more lives.

And you can be a part of it, too.

I have signed up to walk and I hope you will join me in my effort by signing up to join my team or making a donation in support of my participation. Together, we can save lives from breast cancer!

Find out how to participate and/or donate to this great cause here: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/michelekravetz

No comments: