Yes, the cake that I pulled out of the oven looked just like this image and tastes event more amazing than it looks... we served our bundt with Nice Cream's Salted Chocolate ice cream with Marcona Almonds with delight! A perfect pairing to our delectable dessert!Most of the alcohol in this cake cooks off,
but a distinct whiskey flavor remains.Ingredients:
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process) plus 3 tablespoons for dusting pan
- 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup American whiskey
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Special equipment: a 10-inch bundt pan (3 1/4 inches deep; 3-qt capacity)
Accompaniment: lightly sweetened whipped cream
Garnish: confectioners sugar for dusting
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325ºF. Butter bundt pan well, then dust with 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, knocking out excess.
- Heat coffee, whiskey, butter, and remaining cup cocoa powder in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, whisking, until butter is melted. Remove from heat, then add sugar and whisk until dissolved, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool 5 minutes.
- While chocolate mixture cools, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a small bowl, then whisk into cooled chocolate mixture until combined well. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined (batter will be thin and bubbly). Pour batter into bundt pan and bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool cake completely in pan on a rack, about 2 hours. Loosen cake from pan using tip of a dinner knife, then invert rack over pan and turn cake out onto rack.
Chocolate + Whiskey = Happy Home
To keep the inhabitants of my home happy, two things make a recurring appearance: Chocolate and Whiskey. So, when I was bit by the baking bug yesterday afternoon, I decided to try my hand at Gourmet's September 2005 recipe for Chocolate Whiskey Bundt Cake.