Italian Meatball Soup Rapido
- Active time:10 min
- Start to finish:30 min
Parmigiano-Reggiano enriches canned broth for a quick, hot, and truly delicious meal in a bowl.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup frozen chopped onions (about 6 oz)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 celery rib, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 5 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (42 fl oz)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 20 refrigerated or frozen precooked meatballs (15 to 20 ounces)
- 2 (14-oz) cans small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (5- to 6-oz) bag baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 5- to 6-quart pot over high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onions, garlic, celery, and carrots, stirring occasionally, until onions are pale golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in broth and water and bring to a boil, covered.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté meatballs (do not thaw if frozen), turning occasionally, until browned all over, about 3 minutes.
- Add meatballs to soup along with beans and briskly simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and meatballs are heated through, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach, cheese, salt, and pepper and simmer, uncovered, until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute.